Friday 8 March 2013

Porcupine Cookies

Also known as a macaroon to some people, these little bites are delightful. These have probably been one of my favorite cookie recipes since I was a little girl. They are also probably one of the first things I ever made on my own as a kid.

Tips and Tricks:
I have found that sometimes the chocolate sets a little too quickly for me to measure out the coconut and oatmeal when it is time to add them, so I usually just get a bowl out and measure the rolled oats and coconut into the bowl before I get started.

Also the time the chocolate mix needs to boil is very important. If you don't boil it long enough the chocolate wont set right and it will be gross. Let me promise you as I was learning to cook, waiting the right amount of time was always an issue for me and this is a recipe that is not kind to people who rush it. Let the chocolate mix boil for 6 solid minutes before you add anything else to it. Also rolled oats or quick oats are necessary or else the oat will be too chewy in the cookie.

Porcupine Cookies


Couldn't get enough of these cookies as a kid!


Ingredients:
  • 2 Cup White Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Butter
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, unsweetened 
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 3 Cups Rolled Oats
  • 1 Cup Shredded Coconut
Instructions:
  1. In a large sauce pan over medium heat combine the sugar, butter, milk and cocoa powder, stirring constantly.
  2. Wait for the mixture to come to a full boil then start a timer for 6 (SIX) whole minutes. 
  3. This is a critical step, seriously just let it boil for six minutes, while keeping an eye on it because it might start to bubble pretty high in the sauce pan, if it does just give it a stir to tame it.
  4. After six minutes, add the vanilla and stir it in. This will cause it to bubble rapidly for a second, so do be careful.
  5. Next using a sturdy wooden spoon, poor in the coconut and the rolled oats and mix thoroughly with the chocolate mix. 
  6.  Still moving quickly, drop by heaping tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.  
  7. Once all the mix has been spooned onto the sheet, put them in the fridge for about 2 hours or until they are set. 
  8. Once the cookies are set they can be stored at room temp, and are delicious.
Enjoy!

Notes:

PS: June 2013, Oh goodness,  I just made these but instead of 1 teaspoon of vanilla I used one teaspoon of vanilla and one of almond extract and my dear it was quite good. Gives it more of a real milk chocolate taste I think.

5 comments:

  1. What do you think about adding nuts to this porcupine cookie recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I add nuts to this porcupine cookie recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I add nuts to this porcupine cookie recipe, if I can when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely could add nuts. I would try and use 2-3 tablespoons less of the oatmeal and add about 1/2 cup of chopped nuts. I haven't tried this before but there's no reason it shouldn't work.

      Delete
  4. Add the nuts at the same time as the coconut and oatmeal and just follow the remaining instructions.

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?