Wednesday 17 July 2013

Herb Steak Rub and Grilling a Steak

I am a true blue carnivore. I love me a big juicy rare steak. I usually don't even need much in the way of seasoning, the meat tastes awesome to me just as is when it is a good quality cut of steak and cooked to perfection. I actually was mistaken for a vegetarian once by a good friend, apparently I had only brought out of meat free cooking for a while and he came over one night to see me chowing down on a big bloody cut of  blue-rare steak.  Needless to say the image was a bit shocking but I have't been mistaken for a vegetarian since.

So as a lady who loves her steak, here is my perfected herb steak rub, which can also work as a marinade depending on what your plans are. I am also going to list my steps to making a perfect steak so you can impress your friends with your steak skills.

Herb Steak Rub 

For 2-3 nice sized strip loins

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 Teaspoons Basil
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic
  • 1 Teaspoon Pepper
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Marjoram
  • 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander Seed
  • 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
Instructions:
  1. In a small bowl mix together all of the ingredients and set aside.
  2. Season the steaks with salt and pepper, heavily. 
  3. Next either transfer the herb rub  to a large plastic bag with the steaks, turning to coat evenly, or simply rub the herb mixture onto each side of the steaks.
  4. Allow the mixture to settle into the steak for at least 15 minutes.  
  5. The steak is now ready to grill.
Grilling a steak:

Allow the steak to come up from fridge temperatures, the 15 minutes of settling is an excellent amount of time to achieve this.  While the steak is warming up, heat up the grill to a nice medium heat setting. Careful with the temperature you want it to be hot enough to sear the outside, but no so hot as to char the meat.

When the grill is ready, put the steaks on and cook for about 4 minutes a side.  After cooking for minutes a side, check for doneness with a meat thermometer. If you don't have a meat thermometer on hand there are a few tricks to use when trying to cook a steak.

1) When the blood begins to start pooling on the top of the steak, the steak has reached a medium doneness
2) When oil/fat begins to pool the steak is well done, or overcooked in my books
3) A steak of about medium-rare doneness should be about as firm as the ball of your palm, underneath the thumb. So poke your hand, poke the steak and compare.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?