Thursday 9 January 2014

Turkey BLT Soup

Turkey BLT Soup

Ingredients:

  • 1 Small Onion, finely diced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • About 1 1/2 Cups diced roast Turkey meat
  • 2 Carrots, peeled, and diced
  • 2 Parsnips, peeled and diced
  • 1 Zucchini, diced
  • 1 Can diced Tomatoes, and juice
  • About 6-8 Cups Chicken or Turkey Stock
  • Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Marjoram
  • 1 Tablespoon Basil
  • 1 Tablespoons Oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 8 Slices Bacon
  • 1 1/2 Cup dried Egg noodles
  • 1/4-1/2 Cup Lentils*

Instructions:

  1. Heat a large stock pot over medium heat with the olive oil. 
  2. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring often until cooked and beginning to brown, about 8-10 minutes. 
  3. Add the garlic, stir and cook additional 2-3 minutes. 
  4. Add the chicken stock to the pot and simmer 5 minutes. 
  5. Add the marjoram, basil, oregano, and season well with pepper. Rinse and strain the lentils, and add to the pot. Stir well.
  6. Add the carrots, parsnips, and zucchini. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, About 25-40 minutes depending on how large your diced pieces are.
  7. While the vegetables are simmering, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels Cut into bits. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions and set aside.
  8. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the diced turkey, bacon, and can of tomatoes and the can juices. Stir well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add the noodles, stir well.
  9. Soup is ready!

Enjoy!

Notes:

Or Turkey bacon, lentil-vegetable, tomato soup! Since I recently made a rather large sized turkey and due to weather issues some dinner guests couldn't make it, I have a lot of roast turkey meat in the fridge that needs to get eaten! A few healthy sized hot-turkey sandwiches really hit the spot but I needed some other way to eat turkey.

I never really was a huge fan of turkey n' rice soup like my mom used to make, but this came to me in a dream pretty much. Just tested it out in real life and it was awesome! Lots of flavor without being too heavy and the bacon makes up for the fact that I never added any salt to the recipe.

So if you have some left over turkey, or chicken I suppose, and are trapped in an Polar Vortex of cold miserable winter hell, I suggest some hot soup to cure the blues!

I made mine with my own homemade turkey stock that I made right after I finished carving the turkey, but if you don't want to do all that, or don't have the turkey bones you can use store bought chicken stock. Also if you don't have lentils, don't really worry about it, they just add some extra protein and iron, but not much flavor. I just wanted something that started with L so I could keep my pun.

Ps: Be warm and safe in wintertime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?