Thursday 22 May 2014

Recipe Test - Italian Wonder Pot

Time for another recipe test! This one just seemed like it was too easy and good to be true. . . 

Original Recipe from a Buzzfeed article: Affordable Wonder Pot

Which was apparently based on a recipe from Martha Stewart, but I didn't see that one.

Recipe claims:

 Throw the magical list of ingredients into a pot, cover, bring to a boil, uncover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. . . and that's it, dinner is ready. Garnish with some crumbled feta cheese on top.

I don't know about you but I like the idea of a recipe I can literally throw everything  into a pot and have dinner ready in about 30 minutes. Also one pot anything is pretty awesome in my books (Who actually likes washing dishes anyways?).

Original Recipe Ingredients:

4 Cups Vegetable Broth
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
12 ounces Fettuccine
8 ounces Frozen Chopped Spinach
1 (28 Ounce) can Diced Tomatoes
1 Onion
4 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Tablespoon dried Basil
1/2 Tablespoon dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
Fresh cracked pepper
2 Ounces Feta Cheese

Changes I made:

  • I used half spinach fettuccine and half smart pasta noodles
  • My package of frozen spinach was 12 ounces so I used the whole thing
  • I increased the basil and oregano to about 1 tablespoon each, and omitted the red pepper flakes
  • I also added 3 home made sundried tomato sausages I had on hand, cooked and chopped into small bits.
Instructions:

Prepare all the ingredients, finely mince the onion and garlic, and get everything else together. Break the fettuccine noodles in half to make stirring easier later. Add everything to a large pot, including the juice from the canned tomatoes, only leave out the feta cheese.


Place lid over pot and over medium high heat bring to a full roiling boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium and simmer 15-20 minutes until noodles are al dente. Stir occasionally to help noodles cook evenly, but be careful not to over stir as the noodles can get gluey I am told.


Ladle into warmed serving bowls, garnish with crumbled feta and serve with bread or salad.


Conclusions:


This recipe is a magical success story! Came together perfectly, was delicious and reheated well the next day for lunch. I seriously loved this recipe and plan to make it again! Though I might half it next time or some other smaller fraction somehow, I made this when it was only me and man-friend at home for supper. I had an awful lot of leftovers. The original recipe said it served six people but I think eight of my people could have eaten that no problem. 


Other Places:

Instead of something healthy how about something deep fried?

Perfect Fries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?